To Do or Not to Do
My daily focus is how to get more food into my son. He is very resistant to the idea of eating anything that is not a fruit or a cracker. Now, I have a dilemma that is not so much a dilemma.
I have a friend whose daughter was very similar to Liam in how she ate. She, too, nursed close to two years and did not want anything to do with milk. In a desperate attempt to get some good calories and fat into her, my friend gave her daughter her first regular bottles. Amazingly, it worked and H sucked the milk down. After a few months of milk in a bottle, L (her mother) was able to make the switch to a sippy cup and H has been drinking milk ever since.
When L first suggested this approach to me, I resisted. Why would I want to give my almost 2 year old a bottle when most mothers are struggling to wean their child (or have already done so) from the bottle? In the last couple of days, though, I have come to the realization that it doesn't matter what "most mothers" are doing. What matters is getting more calories and fat into my child and this is a way I have not tried and one that has worked for others.
That said, I am borrowing a bottle and nipple from a friend today and we are going to give it a go. L (my L) is fascinated with babies who have bottles and pacifiers. The kid who never would take a pacifier in his own infancy loves to steal his friends' pacifiers and run around sucking on them. The bottle may be just the thing to hurdle the milk obstacle.
Cross your fingers for us. If this doesn't work, then I don't know what else to try.
My daily focus is how to get more food into my son. He is very resistant to the idea of eating anything that is not a fruit or a cracker. Now, I have a dilemma that is not so much a dilemma.
I have a friend whose daughter was very similar to Liam in how she ate. She, too, nursed close to two years and did not want anything to do with milk. In a desperate attempt to get some good calories and fat into her, my friend gave her daughter her first regular bottles. Amazingly, it worked and H sucked the milk down. After a few months of milk in a bottle, L (her mother) was able to make the switch to a sippy cup and H has been drinking milk ever since.
When L first suggested this approach to me, I resisted. Why would I want to give my almost 2 year old a bottle when most mothers are struggling to wean their child (or have already done so) from the bottle? In the last couple of days, though, I have come to the realization that it doesn't matter what "most mothers" are doing. What matters is getting more calories and fat into my child and this is a way I have not tried and one that has worked for others.
That said, I am borrowing a bottle and nipple from a friend today and we are going to give it a go. L (my L) is fascinated with babies who have bottles and pacifiers. The kid who never would take a pacifier in his own infancy loves to steal his friends' pacifiers and run around sucking on them. The bottle may be just the thing to hurdle the milk obstacle.
Cross your fingers for us. If this doesn't work, then I don't know what else to try.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home