Woodland Falls
Woodland Falls
Woodland Falls

Friday, May 21, 2004

I have one image from moving day that I just can't get out of my head. I hadn't written it down before because I just don't know how to present it.

As you can imagine there was a mountain of trash on the curb that day as moving day coincided with the last day I could put trash curbside. It was a HUGE amount. I swear it looked like 5 families lived there for 6 years or something. I am always amazed at how much we accumulate that has to be thrown away.

Anyway, I digress. In the calm moments before the moving truck arrived and while my MIL was out getting breakfast with L, I stepped outside to throw yet another thing on the pile. I was quite shocked to find someone rifling through my discarded stuff.

It wasn't the fact that someone was going through the stuff (there was a kid's tent, a couple of kid sized chairs, and a dryer that had already gone into some random person's truck bed) so much as the fact that he was in an Army PT uniform (the one worn for organized exercise) and that he was actually digging in closed up trash bags. He had already put about 7 bags (yes, there was a LOT out there) into his truck bed and he was unabashedly digging through sealed up bags. I honestly didn't know what to do. Silly polite me had an interchange with him something like this...

Me: Umm, can I help you? Are you looking for something in particular?

Him: (not looking uncomfortable at all) Just looking for kids toys and clothes.

Me: umm, okay. I don't think there are any out there. Sorry.

He totally ignored me and continued to dig.

I slunk off inside, not sure what else to do.

He honestly was there another 15 minutes or so AFTER I saw him and he probably hauled away half of what was out there.

I understand in theory that people do pick things up off the side of the road. I was not surprised in the least that the tent, chairs, vacuum, and dryer were snatched up. People out there know how to fix things and those would be worth something if for parts only. What did surprise me (actually shock and gross me out) was that this man was actually digging through the closed bags. IMNSHO, if the bag is closed up then chances are it is TRASH! I actually saw him get the children's games that were in their plastic and totally soaked in the flood. When I was finally able to throw them out (had to hang onto them until the insurance claim cleared) they had MOLD GROWING INSIDE THE PLASTIC and almost all of the box for each was covered. I used gloves to get them into the trash bag and he took them away. It was all I could do not to run after him and tussle for my trash.

I am afraid I know what he plans to do with those thing...sell them somehow and that honestly sickens me.

Beyond, that, though, I really am disgusted that he did it all while wearing an official uniform for the U.S. Army. I mean, come on.

Anyway, think badly of you if you must, but this really took salvage a wee bit too far. There was even something creepy about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Sink or Swim

These are the ramblings of an army wife and mother working to keep the family afloat on the turbulent waters of life.

Deployments and secondary infertility are just two of the things between us and the life boats, but I have a feeling we will get there in time.





My Links

Recent History
Archives

Credits
Template by: miz graphics
Photo by: Robyn Anderson

Powered by Blogger


View My Stats