Before our struggles with infertility, before our first child was conceived, before I met my husband or even graduated from high school, I made a pact with my best friend to open and orphanage when we grow up and to adopt and raise as many children as we could possibly handle and then some. Our husbands were mere whisps of dreams and we were both drawn to the idea of helping children in need. I was going to be a doctor and she a lawyer to cover our bases and we were going to have (together with our spouses and natural children) a family unit somewhat like that in Louisa May Alcott's Little Men.
Sometime between then and my recent past (the last 6 months or so) I lost sight of that dream and when I thought of it it was in the sense of "one day" and "when things are right". More recently, though, Soldier Boy and I have actually talked about the possibility that adoption may be our one and only route to having more children. We also were honest with ourselves in knowing that we are not in a financial position right now to afford an adoption. Adoptions are expensive business; or so we thought.
I don't even know if I can get this all out in a coherent and readable manner. I feel like I am one raw nerve ending and can't decide if I should hyperventilate or throw up. All I know is that I will be one heartbroken mama if I let myself get too tied up in these emotions before I have something more solid than a conversation with my MIL to go on.
You might be scratching your chin at this point and wondering when my MIL entered the picture. Well, it was about 4 months ago in a conversation with her that I mentioned SB and I were thinking of adoption and definitely weren't opposed to it. We talked a bit about how they (the in-laws) would more than support us emotionally if we choose to go that route and about all the wonderful children out there who would benefit from having parents such as us. That was it. Nothing big; or so I thought.
She called today to talk to me a bit before she goes to see her sister who is visiting her daughter (MIL's niece) in Alabama. Said sister (SB's aunt) is a missionary who has been working for the last year in Guatemala at an orphanage.
Blah blah blah blah
Conversation with MIL ends with the hope that not only is there a baby at said orphanage who would be perfect for us (according to Auntie in law), but financially all we would need to cover would be the home visits and inspections in this state. Adoption fees at the orphanage are minimal and air fare there and back would be covered by FIL (airline employee).
I don't even know what to think. Am I this giddy because of my extreme stupidity or because of my faith? I would like to think that only God would place such an opportunity within our grasp and I would not like to think that God would be playing a big practical joke on us.
The practical joke angle is heartbreaking to consider. Take a couple who wants more children and can't seem to have them. Dangle a baby (did I mention this is a girl baby?) in front of their noses. Make the whole prospect seem attainable and exciting only to laugh as the opportunity falls through.
The faith angle, however, makes me want to jump through any hoop I have to to make this happen. I am just so scared to put my heart on the line and even more scared not to.
Sometime between then and my recent past (the last 6 months or so) I lost sight of that dream and when I thought of it it was in the sense of "one day" and "when things are right". More recently, though, Soldier Boy and I have actually talked about the possibility that adoption may be our one and only route to having more children. We also were honest with ourselves in knowing that we are not in a financial position right now to afford an adoption. Adoptions are expensive business; or so we thought.
I don't even know if I can get this all out in a coherent and readable manner. I feel like I am one raw nerve ending and can't decide if I should hyperventilate or throw up. All I know is that I will be one heartbroken mama if I let myself get too tied up in these emotions before I have something more solid than a conversation with my MIL to go on.
You might be scratching your chin at this point and wondering when my MIL entered the picture. Well, it was about 4 months ago in a conversation with her that I mentioned SB and I were thinking of adoption and definitely weren't opposed to it. We talked a bit about how they (the in-laws) would more than support us emotionally if we choose to go that route and about all the wonderful children out there who would benefit from having parents such as us. That was it. Nothing big; or so I thought.
She called today to talk to me a bit before she goes to see her sister who is visiting her daughter (MIL's niece) in Alabama. Said sister (SB's aunt) is a missionary who has been working for the last year in Guatemala at an orphanage.
Blah blah blah blah
Conversation with MIL ends with the hope that not only is there a baby at said orphanage who would be perfect for us (according to Auntie in law), but financially all we would need to cover would be the home visits and inspections in this state. Adoption fees at the orphanage are minimal and air fare there and back would be covered by FIL (airline employee).
I don't even know what to think. Am I this giddy because of my extreme stupidity or because of my faith? I would like to think that only God would place such an opportunity within our grasp and I would not like to think that God would be playing a big practical joke on us.
The practical joke angle is heartbreaking to consider. Take a couple who wants more children and can't seem to have them. Dangle a baby (did I mention this is a girl baby?) in front of their noses. Make the whole prospect seem attainable and exciting only to laugh as the opportunity falls through.
The faith angle, however, makes me want to jump through any hoop I have to to make this happen. I am just so scared to put my heart on the line and even more scared not to.

4 Comments:
OMG MANDY! AHH!!!!!!! This is so not what I expected to find when I decided to catch up on some blog reading tonight. Holy crap!
I'm not going to say anything other than sometimes God does things we don't expect or can't explain. I hope whatever is the right path for you and G is the one that you end up on.
OMG a baby.
By
Sandy, at 8:34 PM
Wow!!!! Yikes, I can only imagine the courage it takes to fully embrace a possibility like that knowing that it may not actually happen. Yikes! All I can offer are hugs and wishing you lots of strength. And crossing my fingers...
By
kate, at 8:32 AM
Wow! I have to echo Sandy! I SO didn't expect to see this when I came by today! I don't know what to say other than do what your gut tells you to do. Be true to yourself first. That is what is most important!
By
Sarah, at 1:02 PM
Wishing you the absolute best, Mandolin.
By
thatgirl, at 5:18 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home