Last night, Gabe and I were honored to participate in a Dining Out (that is the *official* name of a Military Ball). There are few occassions in a woman's life where she gets to wear a formal dress, get her toes done, get her hair done, and go out with the most handsom man in the world for an evening of friendship, dinner, and dancing. Picture prom with a more grown-up (yet no less boisterous) crowd!
This military ball, at first glance, was no different than any other I have attended. Young soldiers looked a little uncomfortable all dressed up and anxiously tried act the part while trying not to pull on their bow ties or use the wrong fork. More experienced soldiers offered support and guidance when needed. Introductions and pleasantries were exchanged by all. The attire of the ladies ranged from elegant to inappropriate. Everyone secretly wondered who would be *the one* later in the evening. You know, the one whose clothes will become a hindrance during the course of the dancing. There was a happy buzz in the air. All in all, a military ball is like any other formal one might attend.
And then again, it is so very different. What other formal would open with a presentation of the Colors (for those non military folks, that means that a Color Guard marches in and places the American Flag in a place of honor)? There are three major things that truly set a military ball apart from just any formal.
First, there is a special table set to symbolize and remember the POW/MIA. I never fail to cry a this remembrance
To remember those who answered the call, but for whatever reason, failed to return.
I would like to call your attention to the table in front of the room.
The tablecloth is white, symbolizing the purity of their intentions to respond to their country's call to arms. Remember!
The single rose displayed in a vase reminds us of the families and loved ones of our comrades-in-arms who kept the faith awaiting their return.
Remember!
The red ribbon tied so prominently on the vase is reminiscent of the red ribbon worn upon the lapel and breasts of thousands who bear witness to their unyielding determination to demand a proper accounting of our missing. Remember!
A slice of lemon is on the bread plate to remind us of their bitter fate.
Remember!
There is salt upon the bread plate symbolic of the families’ tears as they wait.
Remember!
The glass is inverted, they cannot toast with us this night.
Remember!
The chair--the chair is empty--they are not here.
Remember!
The third major difference between a military ball and a general formal is that once the dancing starts and the couples sway to the music, you know that each and every pair will be parted soon with no guarantees that they will ever be reunited. And yet these families choose to serve (and yes the whole family serves, in my opinion) because they feel called to protect our freedom which is not really free.
God bless each and every soldier and all who love him/her.

Don't we dress up nicely? gotta love a man in uniform.

This is my support group. We wives stick together to get through it all.

The infamous GROG.

4 Comments:
You both like fantastic. Glad you enjoyed yourself. The post, however, made me cry. :( That table and then the whole idea of you being seperated without knowing when/if you'll see Gabe again. Gosh - not something one ever wants to consider.
I agree, the whole family serves. Its easy not to realize that the job you and Liam will have once Gabe deploys is going to be as hard as the one he faces - but in its own way it is. Thanks to the three of you. PRayers are with you all.
By
Sandy, at 9:09 PM
You look radiant! I am SO glad you posted pictures.
A terrible catch 22 that the Ball is so special and yet so sad. I love to hear about such traditions! Very touching!
By
Sarah, at 11:52 AM
Mandy,
I stopped by and read this post a couple days ago and didn't have time to comment then but I'm totally with Sandy. Had to read this with a tissue in hand. I also meant to ask David if they ever did anything like that for Navy stuff. I'm sure they have their own version of things but now I'm curious as to what it might be. Oh, and your hair? Your outfit? You? SO beautiful!! (And Gabe looks positively dashing in his uniform!)
By
Lexocat, at 4:46 PM
Mandy, I agree with what they've said-- I too was tearing up. It sounds like a beautiful, meaningful evening (and speaking of beautiful, you look lovely!!!) It's nice that you have other military wives as a support system. I'll be thinking of you and Liam once Gabe deploys...
By
kate, at 5:06 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home