Why???????
In the midst of preparing for my husband to be gone and trying to organize the family support group, I have been trying to reconcile myself to the fact that not only will I not have a 2006 baby, but I will probably not have a 2007 baby either. In the back of my head, I try to tell myself that I am okay with that. That things will work out the way they are supposed to work out, but last night I realized that my inner self needs to STFU for a little bit.
As I congratulated yet another friend on her pregnancy (I seriously lost count at about 35 announcements in the last few weeks), I was praying that she couldn't see the stricken look on my face and that she would assume that the tears in my eyes were tears of joy for her happiness. I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. I really don't.
In a lot of ways my life is so full and yet my arms feel empty of the baby that I know should be in them. While crying myself to sleep last night and trying to explain this feeling to my husband, I couldn't help but ask "Why?". Why everyone else and not us? What did we do/not do to warrant this?
He gently responded that this is not a punishment, but even as he said the words, I couldn't help blurting out that it feels like one nonetheless. I fee like I am being punished and I don't even know what I did to deserve it.
I feel beaten down and hopeless andI can only hope that this feeling passes and that I can be content with the situation sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I am practicing the smile to hide the tears and the strong happy voice that will talk over the sad and quivery feelings underneath. Every baby is a joy and should be celebrated even if I am not the one with the privilege of carrying that baby.
In the midst of preparing for my husband to be gone and trying to organize the family support group, I have been trying to reconcile myself to the fact that not only will I not have a 2006 baby, but I will probably not have a 2007 baby either. In the back of my head, I try to tell myself that I am okay with that. That things will work out the way they are supposed to work out, but last night I realized that my inner self needs to STFU for a little bit.
As I congratulated yet another friend on her pregnancy (I seriously lost count at about 35 announcements in the last few weeks), I was praying that she couldn't see the stricken look on my face and that she would assume that the tears in my eyes were tears of joy for her happiness. I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. I really don't.
In a lot of ways my life is so full and yet my arms feel empty of the baby that I know should be in them. While crying myself to sleep last night and trying to explain this feeling to my husband, I couldn't help but ask "Why?". Why everyone else and not us? What did we do/not do to warrant this?
He gently responded that this is not a punishment, but even as he said the words, I couldn't help blurting out that it feels like one nonetheless. I fee like I am being punished and I don't even know what I did to deserve it.
I feel beaten down and hopeless andI can only hope that this feeling passes and that I can be content with the situation sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I am practicing the smile to hide the tears and the strong happy voice that will talk over the sad and quivery feelings underneath. Every baby is a joy and should be celebrated even if I am not the one with the privilege of carrying that baby.

2 Comments:
I know exactly. I can't fix it, but I know.
It's ok to let it hurt.
I'm so sorry.
By
Anonymous, at 2:06 PM
You know what? It is more than ok to cry. Its more than ok to mourn a loss - which is what you're coping with. Not to say that you won't ever have that baby to hold, but you don't right now and that's a miserable thing to accept sometimes. Its ok. Don't beat yourself for feeling it.
You can be happy for others and sad for you too. You can even be jealous. Its really, truly, honestly, ok.
By
Sandy, at 8:37 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home