Woodland Falls
Woodland Falls
Woodland Falls

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

I have had many people check in with me after my most recent post and for that, I thank you, friends. It really does help to know that there are others out there who either understand or care about what I am going through. It really does help.

I haven't wanted to post in here until I could really actually write something that was neither whiny nor depressing. I am happy to say that while I don't think I am out of the worst of things, I really do feel somewhat better. I. Really. Do. (see, if I say it enough, it really sounds good!)

Now, let me tell you about some joys in my life because I think I have been too focused on the negative and have pushed the positive away for a while.

In the last few weeks, I have experienced the joy of a first snow through the eyes of a 2 year old. I don't think my own first snow experience could in any way match his. He ran around with his face lifted to the sky and saying with a voice of wonder "nos nos nos...mama, nos" If you can't guess, "nos"= snow in his unique and emerging language.

I also hosted 10 adults, 5 toddlers and a newborn for a Thanksgiving feast. There was help with the food, but I felt quite accomplished at having such an event in my house. Our house. It was such a grown-up moment. Am I the only one out there who sometimes wonders what happened and when I grew up? Anyway, it was a true military "family" event and went a long way towards reminding me what this life is all about and how much my friends and neighbors mean to this way of life. We are a family away from family and I am blessed in that.

A lot of my joy is centered around my family so here is another one. Though I don't homeschool my son in a formal sense, we have really started to have life lessons and I am thrilled at the way he soaks up learning and knowledge. Of course, we have been constantly "teaching" him since he was born, but it is so exciting to see how he processes new information and takes it in. Some examples are seen on here. I am constantly amazed at the things he can learn and at the rate he learns them.

I didn't do a "thanksgiving" post because I was so incredibly busy, but I think I can sum my thanks up to just these few things.

Family, both immediate and extended, who love and support me.

Friends who understand most of the time and who support and care even when they don't understand.

My husband (yes, I know he is family, but he is so much more than that) who loves me and lifts me up when I don't think I can go on. He knows when he needs to give more and he knows when he needs to back off and let me work things out on my own. Such intuitive love is hard to come by. We are struggling with a difficult situation of fertility and he is honest and open with me about his feelings. We are in this together and we are the proud parents of one incredible miracle named Liam no matter what else happens.

My son (again, I know he is family...but he is a class all his own). I give thanks for him every single day. He is the joy of my life with his innocence and earnest headlong race into life. I am so grateful to be along for the ride I call Liam. So far there are many more ups than downs on his roller coaster!

There is no way to say this that doesn't sound trite, but I am also ever so thankful for my husband and his colleagues and what they do to protect my freedoms to speak my mind, worship as I wish, and be completely stupid when the occassion calls for it. I truly believe in what our troops are doing to better the world and though we live our lives with the constant fear that Gabe will be called overseas to do his part, I am thankful for our commitment as a family to serve our country in this way. When I hear comments that minimize what our troops do and why they do it I have to remind myself that it is freedom of speech for all americans that is being protected and that it is a beautiful thing to see that freedom in action even if I don't personally agree with the comments being made. I firmly believe that without our service men and women we would not hear such diversity of opinions everywhere we go.

I give thanks daily for these blessings in my life but it is nice to remind myself every once in a while!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Sink or Swim

These are the ramblings of an army wife and mother working to keep the family afloat on the turbulent waters of life.

Deployments and secondary infertility are just two of the things between us and the life boats, but I have a feeling we will get there in time.





My Links

Recent History
Archives

Credits
Template by: miz graphics
Photo by: Robyn Anderson

Powered by Blogger


View My Stats