NAK
Literally speaking, NAK stands for Nursing At Keyboard. I used this acronym myself during the 27 months I breastfed my son, but I limited it to when I was instant messaging with a friend and needed to explain the slow, one handed, spelling error ridden nature of my end of the conversation. I wanted my friends to know that I hadn't left the computer but was rather struggling to type out more than 4 letters in a reasonable manner. For that scenario, it is a very handy acronym.
I can also see using it occassionally when you are trying to formulate a string of coherent thought for an involved post or email. Sometimes you just keep getting distracted and it is hard to make sense of an involved thought process.
I don't understand, however, why so many feel the need to pepper each and every post on message boards and email groups with NAK. After all, I belong to message boards and email groups that are focused on parenting and are comprised of parents. It goes without saying that acts of parenting will affect the grammar and content of the messages at times. One hardly needs to say "pretty dress, NAK". Honestly, did the nursing really affect your ability to comment on the dress (or situation or toy or anything else that is going to be addressed with a 2 word comment)?
For that matter , nursing at the keyboard is not the only thing that could cause typos so if someone is worried that she will be judged for the quality of her editing then we should add some other acronyms to the line-up as well because other parenting and life acts definitely get in the way of good grammar at times. Here are my suggestions for a list that should cover some of the situations that may come up while typing...
EAK = eating at keyboard
DAK= drinking at keyboard
CDAK= Changing diaper at keyboard
RTTSAK= rocking toddler to sleep at keyboard
KBBAK= kissing boo boo at keyboard
BUSBAK= breaking up sibling brawl at keyboard
WSNAK= wiping snotty nose at keyboard
DLFSFMLAK= drinking low fat sugar free mocha latte at keyboard
Then for the more advanced (courtesy of Sandy )
KHFCFBRB= kid hanging from ceiling fan be right back
CEGMUS= child eating glue must unstick
And for the childless couples (or for after the kids go to bed)
HJAK= You can figure this one out
FCSQBRB= freaky circus sex quickie, be right back
This is a work in progress so please feel free to add your suggestions in the comments. I will be sure to credit your ideas when I publish my works.
Literally speaking, NAK stands for Nursing At Keyboard. I used this acronym myself during the 27 months I breastfed my son, but I limited it to when I was instant messaging with a friend and needed to explain the slow, one handed, spelling error ridden nature of my end of the conversation. I wanted my friends to know that I hadn't left the computer but was rather struggling to type out more than 4 letters in a reasonable manner. For that scenario, it is a very handy acronym.
I can also see using it occassionally when you are trying to formulate a string of coherent thought for an involved post or email. Sometimes you just keep getting distracted and it is hard to make sense of an involved thought process.
I don't understand, however, why so many feel the need to pepper each and every post on message boards and email groups with NAK. After all, I belong to message boards and email groups that are focused on parenting and are comprised of parents. It goes without saying that acts of parenting will affect the grammar and content of the messages at times. One hardly needs to say "pretty dress, NAK". Honestly, did the nursing really affect your ability to comment on the dress (or situation or toy or anything else that is going to be addressed with a 2 word comment)?
For that matter , nursing at the keyboard is not the only thing that could cause typos so if someone is worried that she will be judged for the quality of her editing then we should add some other acronyms to the line-up as well because other parenting and life acts definitely get in the way of good grammar at times. Here are my suggestions for a list that should cover some of the situations that may come up while typing...
EAK = eating at keyboard
DAK= drinking at keyboard
CDAK= Changing diaper at keyboard
RTTSAK= rocking toddler to sleep at keyboard
KBBAK= kissing boo boo at keyboard
BUSBAK= breaking up sibling brawl at keyboard
WSNAK= wiping snotty nose at keyboard
DLFSFMLAK= drinking low fat sugar free mocha latte at keyboard
Then for the more advanced (courtesy of Sandy )
KHFCFBRB= kid hanging from ceiling fan be right back
CEGMUS= child eating glue must unstick
And for the childless couples (or for after the kids go to bed)
HJAK= You can figure this one out
FCSQBRB= freaky circus sex quickie, be right back
This is a work in progress so please feel free to add your suggestions in the comments. I will be sure to credit your ideas when I publish my works.

3 Comments:
Hey! Happy to help at any time whether it be assuming your identify to make your space pretty or sparking your imagination. ;) What are friends for. tee hee.
By
Sandy, at 11:54 AM
Nate, thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment. It was definitely a post born of frustration.
Sandy, you are truly a good friend! Thank you for your inspiration and your help! The new template is very pretty!
By
Mandy, at 12:07 PM
CCTSMBBO= Children Chewing Through Straps Must Buy Better Ones.
:D
Ever since I used that one pic in my siggy on MD I've loved that saying. LOL. Those are really cute and I've never seen at least half of those. Thanks for the giggle girl.
By
Jo, at 11:24 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home