After the drama of yesterday, this seems pretty frivolous to write about, but here goes.
I am going to make L's birthday cake this year for him party. It is an Indian theme so I tracked down and bought on ebay a pan that is a horse rearing back. It is a Portuguese pan and I spent way too much on it, but a rocking horse just didn't seem to fit. In addition to buying the pan, I will be baking the cake and decorating it as well. I have never in my life piped icing to decorate a cake. I am nervous enough about this that as I type I have the practice cake in the oven and we will be having birthday cake for dessert tonight. I can think of worse things!
Now, allow me to bitch a bit about the party itself. 2 months ago it really seemed like a good idea to do two things. One: Have the party a month early since all the neighbors are moving mid-May and we actually want toddler guests. Two: Have a joint party with A whose birthday is three days after L's. It all makes sense and sounds reasonable, right?
Well, I didn't realize that A's parents are both insane and perfectionists at the same time. A's mom, K, is a party planner. She wants crafts, games, and cute little Indian dresses. Okay, that is fine. I can go with everythign but the dresses for the boys. A's father, H, is just an ass and a tight fisted penny pinching controlling one at that. There. He is also a closet drunk. UGH
K and I sat down recently to do some pre-planning pow-wowing. We decided (she suggested) that she take care of all the craft items (macaroni/yarn necklaces, headband, and the dresses) and paper products whil I gather up the food (hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, sodas, and anything else we will be eating). I was okay with this unequal divvying because they are springing for a large bouncy thing and weren't asking that I cover half.
The reason they are getting a large bouncy thing is that because H promised K when he was drunk that A could have a pony at her birthday party. K is not backing down and making him pay for one (he has his own money, I guess).
Anyway, all this seemed fine until K showed up at my door to let me know that H put his foot down and said that she couldn't buy the craft items (hello, we are talking *maybe* 5 dollars) and that if I wanted crafts then I need to buy them myself. ASS. This from the man that drank no fewer than 10 beers a night while the guys were in Kansas. 5 weeks at 10 beers a night means he had something like 530 beers (probably more) while he was gone. Those things are not cheap. Ass. Oh, he also didn't want K to buy sugar cones to make tee-pees for A's cake because I was making a cake. She held her ground there too, thank goodness. ASS.
This only bothers me because it seems like his goal is to have me throw the party and him only contribute the one thing he can't weasle himself out of. He even made her mail an order form for a tent because the number to order it was long distance. HELLOOOOO, the stamp cost more than the phone call would. He is the type of person to avoid paying for something at all costs. He makes K shop for A's clothes at Goodwill (he is an Army captain for freaking sake) and all her shoes and coats and stuff are hand me down. There is nothign wrong with frugality, but there is a point where it becomes insane. Let's see, that poitn to me is thinking that 350 beers in 5 weeks is higher on the money priority scale than my daughter's clothes. UGH UGH UGH and ASS!
He is also a control freak. K told me yesterday that she asked (yes; ASKED) him if she could wear her swimsuit top out back (all our backyards form one big square playgroung). She doesn't say this like she is looking for pity. IT is just a fact. She asked and he gave permission. WTF? Said swimsuit top is one of the tankini variety and really looks just like a tight tank top. WTF? It is a lot less revealing than a lot of things I have seen, but come to think of it her shorts come to her knees, her shirts always have sleeves and are shapeless, and she is very submissive (IMO).
Goodness, I don't know where all of that came from! I feel badly for her, but I sure didn't know I had all those thoughts pent up. Poor gals (A and K).
I am going to make L's birthday cake this year for him party. It is an Indian theme so I tracked down and bought on ebay a pan that is a horse rearing back. It is a Portuguese pan and I spent way too much on it, but a rocking horse just didn't seem to fit. In addition to buying the pan, I will be baking the cake and decorating it as well. I have never in my life piped icing to decorate a cake. I am nervous enough about this that as I type I have the practice cake in the oven and we will be having birthday cake for dessert tonight. I can think of worse things!
Now, allow me to bitch a bit about the party itself. 2 months ago it really seemed like a good idea to do two things. One: Have the party a month early since all the neighbors are moving mid-May and we actually want toddler guests. Two: Have a joint party with A whose birthday is three days after L's. It all makes sense and sounds reasonable, right?
Well, I didn't realize that A's parents are both insane and perfectionists at the same time. A's mom, K, is a party planner. She wants crafts, games, and cute little Indian dresses. Okay, that is fine. I can go with everythign but the dresses for the boys. A's father, H, is just an ass and a tight fisted penny pinching controlling one at that. There. He is also a closet drunk. UGH
K and I sat down recently to do some pre-planning pow-wowing. We decided (she suggested) that she take care of all the craft items (macaroni/yarn necklaces, headband, and the dresses) and paper products whil I gather up the food (hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, sodas, and anything else we will be eating). I was okay with this unequal divvying because they are springing for a large bouncy thing and weren't asking that I cover half.
The reason they are getting a large bouncy thing is that because H promised K when he was drunk that A could have a pony at her birthday party. K is not backing down and making him pay for one (he has his own money, I guess).
Anyway, all this seemed fine until K showed up at my door to let me know that H put his foot down and said that she couldn't buy the craft items (hello, we are talking *maybe* 5 dollars) and that if I wanted crafts then I need to buy them myself. ASS. This from the man that drank no fewer than 10 beers a night while the guys were in Kansas. 5 weeks at 10 beers a night means he had something like 530 beers (probably more) while he was gone. Those things are not cheap. Ass. Oh, he also didn't want K to buy sugar cones to make tee-pees for A's cake because I was making a cake. She held her ground there too, thank goodness. ASS.
This only bothers me because it seems like his goal is to have me throw the party and him only contribute the one thing he can't weasle himself out of. He even made her mail an order form for a tent because the number to order it was long distance. HELLOOOOO, the stamp cost more than the phone call would. He is the type of person to avoid paying for something at all costs. He makes K shop for A's clothes at Goodwill (he is an Army captain for freaking sake) and all her shoes and coats and stuff are hand me down. There is nothign wrong with frugality, but there is a point where it becomes insane. Let's see, that poitn to me is thinking that 350 beers in 5 weeks is higher on the money priority scale than my daughter's clothes. UGH UGH UGH and ASS!
He is also a control freak. K told me yesterday that she asked (yes; ASKED) him if she could wear her swimsuit top out back (all our backyards form one big square playgroung). She doesn't say this like she is looking for pity. IT is just a fact. She asked and he gave permission. WTF? Said swimsuit top is one of the tankini variety and really looks just like a tight tank top. WTF? It is a lot less revealing than a lot of things I have seen, but come to think of it her shorts come to her knees, her shirts always have sleeves and are shapeless, and she is very submissive (IMO).
Goodness, I don't know where all of that came from! I feel badly for her, but I sure didn't know I had all those thoughts pent up. Poor gals (A and K).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home