I am one of those mothers who is always behind when it comes to getting her child in for routine appointments. This time, though, it wasn't my fault completely that Liam took almost 4 months to have his 3 year well child appointment. This time, I can blame the crazy army medical appointment system because they weren't taking appts any of the times I tried and there are only so many times a week (one week I called 9 times) before it starts to get in the way of daily life.
That said, here are the stats. At almost 3.5 years of age, my little boy is a whopping 28.5 pounds and 36 inches tall. The good news is that he is finally registering on *the* charts again. You know, the charts by which all others will judge the health of your child. 2 years after falling off the charts he has managed to claw his way back on.
I am just so tired of taking him in to see the doctor and hearing yet another probable cause to his short stature. Just today, I took him to an allergist for a totally unrelated reason. He has been having hives off and on and I couldn't pinpoint an environmental cause.
We left the office with 2 appointments to follow up. One is to have an xray taken of his chest and of his sinuses. The other appointment is to have a sweat test done to rule out cystic fibrosis. I guess of all the tests he could want, that one is pretty benign in that there are no needles involved, but COULD YOU PEOPLE PLEASE STOP MAKING ME RESEARCH RARE CONDITIONS THAT MY SON MIGHT HAVE? Seriously, in his short life doctors have suggested growth hormone deficiency, celiac and now cystic fibrosis as the reason for his height. Isn't it possible that he is just short? Healthy but short?
Now I am off to google cycstic fibrosis. I am 99.9999999% sure that he doesn't have it, but it is better to know for sure...isn't it?
That said, here are the stats. At almost 3.5 years of age, my little boy is a whopping 28.5 pounds and 36 inches tall. The good news is that he is finally registering on *the* charts again. You know, the charts by which all others will judge the health of your child. 2 years after falling off the charts he has managed to claw his way back on.
I am just so tired of taking him in to see the doctor and hearing yet another probable cause to his short stature. Just today, I took him to an allergist for a totally unrelated reason. He has been having hives off and on and I couldn't pinpoint an environmental cause.
We left the office with 2 appointments to follow up. One is to have an xray taken of his chest and of his sinuses. The other appointment is to have a sweat test done to rule out cystic fibrosis. I guess of all the tests he could want, that one is pretty benign in that there are no needles involved, but COULD YOU PEOPLE PLEASE STOP MAKING ME RESEARCH RARE CONDITIONS THAT MY SON MIGHT HAVE? Seriously, in his short life doctors have suggested growth hormone deficiency, celiac and now cystic fibrosis as the reason for his height. Isn't it possible that he is just short? Healthy but short?
Now I am off to google cycstic fibrosis. I am 99.9999999% sure that he doesn't have it, but it is better to know for sure...isn't it?

4 Comments:
Oh for crying out loud! Mandy I'm sorry you've got more hoops to jump & poor Liam with more tests.
Don't make yourself too nuts with the online research. Just breathe and poke me if you need to chat.
By
Sandy, at 7:06 AM
Ugh. I hope Liam gets through these with no further troubles....
By
kate, at 4:21 PM
Oh, guez...cystic fibrosis is a disease marked by a inability to clear an overproduction of mucuses...It's pretty harsh on the lungs, pancreas...and I really, really don't think that Liam is a canidate for that diagnosis...Docs do seem way off on this one. I think he could just be short too. Don't let them swamp you in appointments.
Take Care
By
Angoraknitter, at 10:17 PM
Gentle ((hugs)) mandy...just reading this for the first time.
let us know, ok?
By
Jessica, at 1:23 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home