The last time I spent this much time with a toilet I had just found out I was pregnant. I can't honestly tell you if this experience is any better or not.
L's teacher and I decided now might be a good time to start really concentrating on potty training/learning (it is all semantics, right?) so that he had a chance of being more in control before the winter really hits.
So far, he is doing pretty well at school and this weekend I started the homefront assault. Could someone just drug me and let me know when it is all over? Please?
It isn't that there are so many accidents (just 2 yesterday and none today so far) but I am not good at keeping track of time so I am using a timer to remind me to take him to the potty. Ding. Pee. Ding. Please, pee. Ding. Sing. Pee. It isn't even 10 am yet and we are skipping church to work on this today.
Stickers, charts, jellybeans, OH MY! We have both washed our hands so much I think our skin will fall off soon!
The real kicker is that I just am not convinced that he is truly ready for all of this. Sure he likes the prizes and is happy when he produces, but at the same time, he doesn't let me know when he needs to go. He just doesn't seem to care.
So I ask you this. Who is really getting trained right now? I feel like I am learning a lot and I am not sure how I feel about it. I don't want to live my life by a timer for too long, that is for sure.
L's teacher and I decided now might be a good time to start really concentrating on potty training/learning (it is all semantics, right?) so that he had a chance of being more in control before the winter really hits.
So far, he is doing pretty well at school and this weekend I started the homefront assault. Could someone just drug me and let me know when it is all over? Please?
It isn't that there are so many accidents (just 2 yesterday and none today so far) but I am not good at keeping track of time so I am using a timer to remind me to take him to the potty. Ding. Pee. Ding. Please, pee. Ding. Sing. Pee. It isn't even 10 am yet and we are skipping church to work on this today.
Stickers, charts, jellybeans, OH MY! We have both washed our hands so much I think our skin will fall off soon!
The real kicker is that I just am not convinced that he is truly ready for all of this. Sure he likes the prizes and is happy when he produces, but at the same time, he doesn't let me know when he needs to go. He just doesn't seem to care.
So I ask you this. Who is really getting trained right now? I feel like I am learning a lot and I am not sure how I feel about it. I don't want to live my life by a timer for too long, that is for sure.

2 Comments:
Don't worry if he doesn't seem that interested or excited about the whole thing. I don't think any kid is that crazy about being potty trained. Anything that interrupts playtime is bad. Think about it, meals, naptime, bedtime. I think bathtime is only OK because toys are involved.
We did exactly what you are doing. The other thing we did was always know where the clean potty's were on our errand route and make sure we hit them when the two hour mark was coming. I also snuck a potty seat (the kind that goes over the big potty seat) in a plastic grocery bag in the package holder of the stroller. She wasn't that crazy about big public potties, and that helped.
Even once she was trained, I still had to remind her every few hours to go use the potty when she was playing, because sometimes she'd get so involved in what she was doing, she'd wait until the last minute.
By
Heather, at 1:02 PM
You're not alone in potty hell girl. I'm right there with you. Hang in there and most likely about the time you give up he will decide he's ready to train. LOL. Good luck!
By
Jo, at 10:44 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home